At Dorcas International, we Stand Strong with the #BlackLivesMatter movement. We Stand Strong with our Black and Brown neighbors. The senseless killings of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, and Ahmaud Arbery, are but just a few on a list of lives lost at the hands of the police. A list, much too long, of people who were denied basic human dignity because of the color of their skin.
The “social change” that we often advocate for WILL NOT happen unless we address systemic racism, inequality, and injustice directly. This is not a task we can do alone, nor will it be easy. It will require that we Listen, and have the difficult conversations; that we Learn, and acknowledge — then challenge — our biases; and that we Enact Change through the use of our privilege.
Dorcas International commits to action and vows to be an active ally for change, for justice, and for equity. We will put in the work and continue to be a resource and safe space for our community, while pursuing the following improvements in our work:
- Securing resources to practice language justice across our programs so that families can more fully participate in their preferred language.
- Working alongside clients as community leaders to co-create programming that reflects their culture, their needs, and their goals.
- Continuing to grow our client leadership efforts to promote self-advocacy and community engagement.
- Creating intentional spaces for employees of color to uncover their experiences, sentiments, and needs — and for our white team members to educate themselves on those perspectives.
- Calling out explicit goals of recruiting a more diverse staff, leadership, and board.