How President Biden can support immigrants and refugees
Here at Dorcas International, we are excited to see this year start with the amazing initiatives introduced by the new administration that will bring welcomed relief to refugees and immigrants in our country.
President Biden plans to send a bill to Congress that will provide a pathway to citizenship for the 11 million immigrants in the United States without permanent status.
We expect that the bill will:
- Provide an eight-year path to citizenship and an expedited path for DACA recipients, TPS holders, and farmworkers.
- Eliminate the three- and ten-year bars on reentry.
- Reduce green card backlogs.
- Eliminate country caps on visas.
- Provide expedited paths to green cards for children and spouses of permanent residents.
- Secure funding to promote citizenship and integration.
- Provide counsel for children and vulnerable populations facing deportation.
- Improve employment-based immigration policies.
- Eliminate the use of the dehumanizing term “alien” in immigration laws.
President Biden also took immediate action on immigration policy, including:
- Ending Trump’s travel ban on several Muslim-majority countries.
- Reversing Trump’s plan to exclude undocumented immigrants from the census reapportionment count.
- Pausing deportations for certain non-citizens in the United States for 100 days.
- Stopping new enrollments in the Migrant Protection Protocols (Remain in Mexico) policy.
- Overturning Trump’s executive order pushing aggressive efforts to find and deport unauthorized immigrants.
- Halting Trump’s border wall construction.
- Blocking deportations of Liberians who have been living in the United States.
With this tremendous support from the new administration, we feel empowered like never before to do anything it takes to serve our mission and the millions of people eager to call the United States their home.
Please join our efforts to make America a safe and thriving country for every individual despite their legal status by making a gift atwww.diiri.org.